On September 14, 2022, Cricket West Indies’ (CWI) Selection Panel announced the West Indies squad for the upcoming T20 World Cup scheduled in Australia. The 15 member squad has been revealed for the T20 WC 2022 which will be played from October 16 to November 13. West Indies are considered as a strong team in the shortest format of cricket. They are the only team who have two ICC Men’s T20 World Cup trophies. They won it in Sri Lanka in 2012 and in India in 2016. However, this time, the Caribbean’s have to first qualify for the Super 12 phase of the tournament. Nicholas Pooran has been appointed the captain of the team with Rovman Powell as vice-captain.
ICYMI: CWI has announced the 15-man squad for the Men’s T20 World Cup 2022 in Australia! #MenInMaroon #T20WorldCup
More details⬇️ https://t.co/t6ils9Xdox pic.twitter.com/GKxgCHZcvG
— Windies Cricket (@windiescricket) September 14, 2022
Key takeaways from West Indies T20 World Cup 2022 Squad
- Explosive all-rounder Andre Russell did not find a place in the T20 World Cup 2022 squad of West Indies.
- Fabian Allen also failed to get a place in the squad.
- Opener Evin Lewis has been recalled for the first time since the 2021 ICC T20 World Cup.
- Right-arm leg-spinner All rounder Yannic Cariah and left-arm batting All rounder Raymon Reifer are the two uncapped players in the squad.
- Johnson Charles is a surprise inclusion in the 15-member squad as he last played a T20I in 2016.