On August 21, 2023 the All-India Senior Selection Committee announced the Indian squad for the upcoming Asia Cup 2023. Fans had been waiting for a long time for this announcement as they were excited to know which players will be selected in the squad for Asia Cup 2023. This squad has very much importance because ICC ODI World Cup 2023 is scheduled in the month of October. The performance of players in Asia Cup will be vital for the selection of India’s World Cup squad.
India’s squad for Asia Cup 2023
Rohit Sharma (Captain), Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, Suryakumar Yadav, Tilak Varma, KL Rahul, Ishan Kishan, Hardik Pandya (VC), Ravindra Jadeja, Shardul Thakur, Axar Patel, Kuldeep Yadav, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohd. Shami, Mohd. Siraj, Prasidh Krishna.
Traveling stand-by player: Sanju Samson
Key Takeaways from India’s Asia Cup 2023 Squad
- Yuzvendra Chahal, who was once a regular name in India’s playing XI didn’t get a place in India’s squad for Asia Cup 2023. From this it can be said that the leg spinner will also not be selected in the upcoming ODI World Cup.
- Young talent Tilak Varma has surprisingly earned a place in the squad. He recently made his debut for team India a few days ago against West Indies and has not earned a call up to the main squad.
- Sanju Samson has been selected as the stand by player because KL Rahul and Shreyas Iyer have recently recovered from their respective injuries and if they prove to be unfit then Samson might come into the picture.
- Ruturaj Gaikwad didn’t get a place in the India’s squad for Asia Cup 2023 because there are plenty of opening options in the squad. It would be exciting to see who will assist Rohit Sharma in opening. It could be Gill, Ishan Kishan or KL Rahul.
- Veteran pacer Bhuvneshwar Kumar also didn’t get a call up for India’s Asia Cup 2023 squad because a lot of fast bowlers are already in the squad. With the likes of Shami, Siraj, Prasidh Krishna and Shardul Thakur, there was no spot for Bhuvi.