The FIFA World Cup 2022 is almost here. In this article, we will talk about one of the most popular country in the world of football. England Football Team has been waiting to taste glory for many decades. They last won the World Cup in 1966. After taking over as the coach, Gareth Southgate has given a ray of hope to the English fans. The fans have faith in Southgate. England reached to the semi-finals of the 2018 World Cup in Russia where they lost against Croatia. The team improved and reached to the final of Euro 2020 where they lost to Italy on penalties. This might be the chance when they might get hands on the most coveted trophy. Let’s take a look at England Starting 11 for World Cup 2022 and Squad Analysis.
Gareth Southgate has a lot of young and talented players available who are playing at the best clubs in Europe. It is true that England delivered class performance in last two major international tournament and reached the semi finals and final. But if we talk about the team’s latest form then the team performed miserable in the current Nations League. They failed to win a single match in their group and have been demoted to the Group B. The current form is quite frightening for Southgate as the team will enter the upcoming World Cup with poor form.
England have been placed in Group B along with USA, Wales and Iran.
England World Cup 2022 Squad
England World Cup 2022 Squad Analysis
Gareth Southgate is likely to show trust in the same squad that reached to the finals of Euro 2020 last year. In the campaign of UEFA Nations League also, the manager has made very few changes. However, the injuries might compel him to bring new players.
England have sufficient options available in this department. Pickford has boosted his status as Southgate’s No.1. Newcastle United’s Nick Pope and Aaron Ramsdale are also present in the squad to give a fight to compete for this position. Dean Henderson and Sam Johnstone may also get a cut in the squad.
We must be ready to witness some shocking names in the back of the England starting 11. England have plenty of world class full backs. However, most of them have been hit by injuries. Kyle Walker and Reece James are doubtful for the upcoming World Cup. In their absence, Trent Alexander-Arnold might get a call up.
The central defence is a serious area of concern for England. They have competitive players available but poor selection has caused setbacks. Southgate has preferred Maguire over Fikayo Tomori and it seems like he will go with same back combination at Qatar also.
Gareth Southgate is expected to continue the midfield partnership in Qatar. Defensive midfielders Declan Rice and Kalvin Phillips have earned a regular place in England lineup after impressive at Euro 2020. The rapid rise of Jude Bellingham might compel Southgate to make a change in the team. The midfield combination will depend on the choice of formation.
Gareth Southgate has abundance of attacking players at his disposal. England has a very rich depth in forward. All these forward players are playing in top clubs around the world. Harry Kane is a certain starter in the attack. It would be a challenge for the manager to find perfect partners for Kane. With the availability of Raheem Sterling, Jack Grealish, Mason Mount, Bukayo Saka and Phil Foden, Manchester United duo Marcus Rashford and Jadon Sancho are unlikely to get a chance in England starting 11 World cup 2022.
England Starting 11 World Cup 2022 (Probable)
England Starting 11 (3-4-2-1): Jordan Pickford; John Stones, Eric Dier, Harry Maguire; Kyle Walker, Declan Rice, Jude Bellingham, Luke Shaw; Phil Foden, Raheem Sterling; Harry Kane
How ENGLAND could line up in FIFA World Cup 2022
- Jordan Pickford (GK) : There was a time when Everton star Jordan Pickford secured his place in England starting 11. He kept the gloves for England in the last two major tournaments. But unfortunately he picked up an injury and missed the September UEFA Nations League games. In his absence, Nick Pope was the keeper. The backup keepers had a great start in this season. It is quite difficult to predict England’s goalkeeper in England Starting 11 for World Cup 2022.
- John Stones (RCB) : The presence of Stones in England starting 11 World Cup 2022 would certainly strengthen the team in the back. Southgate is likely to keep faith on his passing ability, vision and composure. Stones is front runner to start at the World Cup as he significantly helps in England’s build-up play.
- Eric Dier (CB) : Tottenham Hotspur defender Eric Dier was called up to the squad for the Nations League fixtures in September. It was his first call up since 2020. In the beginning, Dier fell out of favor with Southgate but his performances have improved significantly under Antonio Conte. Gareth understands that he can do extremely well as the central defender in a back three in England Starting 11 for World Cup 2022.
- Harry Maguire (LCB) : Southgate has a policy of sticking with his trusted players. Maguire started in recent crucial games against Italy and Germany despite losing his first-team place at Manchester United. He is not getting enough playing time at Old Trafford but it has not diminished his importance to Southgate. Despite his poor form, Maguire is likely to get a place in England Starting 11 for World Cup 2022.
- Kyle Walker (RWB) : Walker is confirmed to feature in England Starting 11 World Cup 2022 if he returns to action before the tournament. The City right back underwent groin surgery in early October and is likely to recover before the World Cup begins in Qatar.
- Declan Rice (CM) : The manager is likely to go with midfield combination of Declan Rice and Jude Bellingham. The West Ham midfielder is the most ideal option as holding midfielder because he can move up and down the field effectively. Rice is likely to control the center area and will get a place in England Starting 11 for World Cup 2022.
- Jude Bellingham (CM) : At present, Bellingham is one of the best youngster. He has been in an amazing form for Borussia Dortmund since the start of season. He can fulfill a box-to-box role alongside the West Ham skipper. The World Cup 2022 could be his breakthrough tournament. He likely to start alongside Rice in England starting 11 world cup 2022.
- Luke Shaw (LWB) : This position was highly unpredictable at a time. However, the situation is quite clear after the news of Ben Chilwell ruling out from the World Cup due to injury. Shaw has been struggling for regular game time at club level but still the manager prefers him. In the fixtures of Nations League also, Southgate deployed Shaw at this position. Therefore, Shaw will be there in England Starting 11 for World Cup 2022.
- Phil Foden (RF) : If Gareth decides to go with another formation then Mason Mount is likely to start as the link between midfield and attack. However, it seems like Southgate is likely to go with 3-4-2-1 formation and Foden is much better option here. He might get a chance in England starting 11 2022.
- Raheem Sterling (LF) : Raheem Sterling has been a mainstay in Southgate’s plans. His goals were also crucial in Euro 2020. Bukayo Saka and Jack Grealish are challenging him for an advanced attacking role.
- Harry Kane (CF) : Skipper Harry Kane will be the first name in England starting 11. He was the top scorer in last World Cup at Russia. Kane will go to Qatar with the best form of his life. The forward is happy with his performance so far this season.
Top Five contenders to win FIFA World Cup 2022 Golden boot
Uruguay Starting 11 World Cup 2022
Belgium Starting 11 World Cup 2022
Argentina Starting 11 World 2022
Portugal Starting 11 World Cup 2022